The March meeting of the Baker Food Co-op Board of Directors was held at the Baker Food Co-op Monday, March 17, at 6 p.m. A quorum being present, the meeting was called to order by President Valerie Tachenko. Board Members present were Valerie Tachenko, Jewel Pilcher, Bart Murray, Fran Hart, Joanna Driscoll, Linda Cyr, and Susie Busch. Staff members present were Carol Morrison, Arnie Skeels and Jana Simpson. Member-Owners Carly Kritchen, Carolyn Kulog, and Dennis Winkler were also present.
(Notes: MSUC- = It was moved, seconded, carried by unanimous vote. MSC = It was moved, seconded, carried; those dissenting will be listed.)
• The February Board minutes were read. MSUC (Jewel, Fran) the minutes were approved as read. All minutes are on file at the Co-op.
• The Treasurer’s report was given. The Board reviewed products sold in each Department for the year. This information is useful for the Board, Staff, and Department Heads to monitor the buying and selling of products. MSUC (Bart, Jewel) report was approved as presented. All reports are on file at the Co-op.
• The Baker Food Co-op Annual Tasting Fair is scheduled for Tuesday, April 8, from 4-7 p.m at the Co-op. Carol encouraged people bringing food to submit recipes to Leslie Gecy so recipes can be typed and ready for distribution at the event. The event coordinator is Teresa Schwab.
• Progress is being made with the purchase of the present building. The seller has presented the Co-op with a letter of intent to sell the building to Baker Food Co-op. This letter has been given to Elkhorn Title to expedite the sale process.
• To maintain consistency, MSUC (Bart, Joanna) that Valerie Tachenko were designated by the Board to continue to represent the Co-op with the sale of the building.
• The Board was informed of two Bylaw corrections that need to be made so that Article 4,2 omits the word “Treasurer” and 4,f will read “Directors at Large.”
• The following people have been nominated for the vacant Board positions:
President: Dennis Winkler
Director at Large: #4 Mary Jones
Director at Large: #1 Vicki Wares
Director at Large: #2: Barbara Haynes
• Dennis Winkler, a nominee for the Board of Directors was present to dialogue with the Board.
• The Board discussed the need for developing logistics for ballot voting two weeks prior to the Member Owner Meeting.
• The Policy and Procedures Committee is working on two documents, one for working members and one for employees.
• It has been extremely busy at the Co-op the last several weeks.
• The electrical circuits have been an area of concern for refrigeration and computers.
• Carol has met with the Department Heads every week.
• The back and the open coolers are now running.
Working Member Coordinator Report:
• Three new members have been welcomed this month with four new working members. There were 20 members who worked 10 hours or more this month. Amy Young was the Department Head of the Month, and Ken Johnson is the Working Member of the Month.
• Debby Schoeningh will begin publishing the Co-op newsletter. Welcome, Debby.
POS (Point of Sale) Administrator Report:
• The updated COPOS system has been working for 3 weeks.
• There are still problems that need to be resolved with the updated COPOS system, and problems with the produce computer and a new system for rescanning the Vitamin Department.
• With no further business MSUC (Jewel, Bart) the meeting adjourn. The Board then met in executive session for Jana’s 6-month job review and to develop logistics for ballot voting two weeks prior to the Member Owner Meeting.
Susie Busch, Secretary